5.13.2010

getting in the spirit


Thursday, May 13, 2010
getting in the spirit
~
I've always enjoyed a fine cocktail while watching a movie. I read a recent New York Times article by Wendell Jamieson highlighting the impact a good cocktail can have on a movie. It got me thinking about the perfect pairings . . .
 SUNSET BOULEVARD | VODKA GIMLET
Norma Desmond's favorite cocktail. I don't see why you would need any other reason to drink one too. 

LOVE ACTUALLY | MULLED WINE
Two perfect holiday traditions combined. Love Actually warms the heart and mulled wine warms the soul.

SEVEN YEAR ITCH | WHISKY SOUR
Main character and 'faithful husband' Richard Sherman drinks them for breakfast. I suggest you join him for the movie - it will certainly cool you off while watching that iconic Monroe v. subway grate scene.

SMALL TIME CROOKS | MANHATTAN
Woody Allen. Hugh Grant. Cookies.
All things that go perfectly with a manhattan cocktail. Besides, you can't think of Woody Allen without thinking of Manhattan and I can't think of anything but manhattans.

THE BIG LEBOWSKI | WHITE RUSSIAN
Need I say more than "The Dude Abides"

MISS PETTIGREW LIVES FOR A DAY|CHAMPAGNE COCKTAIL

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is one of my favorite feel good movies. It's bright and girly- just like a champagne cocktail

DIAL M FOR MURDER | MARTINI
a classic drink for a classic movie. There's nothing like clutching a cool drink while watching a great thriller.


((check out another cute movie/drink post here))